20190915 Ampthill Ladies vs Harpenden Ladies

Match Report

Ampthill Ladies 12 - 31 Harpenden Ladies, Challenge South East

Ampthill played their first ever home game in glorious sunshine in front of a bumper crowd at Dillingham Park on Sunday.  Both sides coming off first week lose wanted to get their first win and during the initial exchanges played some fantastic rugby, with no side giving anything up.  The game ebbed and flowed within the two 22 metre lines and super defence from the back-line halted some determined Harpenden attacks, with debutante Harriet Southwell plus Gemini Forster and Nikki Millward stopping the big Harpenden runners.

Megan Parry forcing a drive through Harpenden’s lines
(Photograph: Iain Frankish, Actuance Photography)

First blood went to Harpenden on 14 minutes with a fine run from deep by the fullback scoring after breaking a few tackles in midfield. Ampthill then had some fantastic possession, capitalising on the powerful running from Ampthill player of the match Megan Parry with Gloria Mills, Bethan Scarr and Nichole Neate allowing Annie Tomblin to score her first try for Ampthill under the posts.

Annie Tomblin crosses the whitewash to score her first try for Ampthill
(Photograph: Iain Frankish, Actuance Photography)

Gemini Forster converting to edge the ladies into the lead. Harpenden hit back almost immediately with another fine try from their impressive back-line scoring and converting just before the break. Ampthill lost their flanker to a knee injury prior to half time meaning both sides were reduced to 14 players.  7-12 at Half time.

Ampthill Ladies working hard at the ruck…
(Photograph: Iain Frankish, Actuance Photography)

The second half kicked off with the titanic forward battle continuing with big hits and scrummage, Harpenden getting the better initially but No8 Bethan Scarr started picking from the base allowing the pressure to be eased and bringing Ampthill’s backs into the game.

Bethan Scarr leads the charge down the field for Ampthill Ladies…
(Photograph: Iain Frankish, Actuance Photography)

As the match and the heat of the day intensified, players started to wilt on both sides and Harpenden’s subs started to make an impact, scoring again on 50 and 55 minutes to take the game away from Ampthill. The A’s hit back again through the impressive Forster crashing over with 12 minutes to go, duly converting the extras. The game was finally taken away from the ladies when fly-half Sammie was yellow carded for a high tackle and Harpenden scored a final try, converting and taking the score to 12-31.

Gemini Forster forging ahead just prior to her injury
(Photograph: Iain Frankish, Actuance Photography)

The game was halted with 5 minutes to go with a neck injury to Gemini Forster meaning she needed a hospital assessment. Everyone on both sides wishing her well and a speedy recovery.

Final Score

Ampthill 12, Harpenden 31

Match Store

Match Store: Match Store